- Posted by jdavis on August 31, 2011
Thyroid Ideas from Edward Bauman
By Mary Shomon, About.com
Edward Bauman, Ph.D. is founder and director of the Institute for Educational Therapy in Cotati, California. The Institute trains nutritionists and culinary arts professionals in how to identify and correctly use foods for their healing properties.
Doctor Bauman’s philosophy focuses on the belief that a healthy lifestyle is a major key to both maintaining health and responding effectively to illness that occurs from the buildup of stress, toxins, trauma and malnutrition. According to Doctor Bauman, “I’m a nutritionist, but I’m also a metabolic detective. I’m looking for substances that alter thyroid function by either damaging the gland, or altering enzyme conversion.”
Key points Dr. Bauman makes are…
- Avoid Aspartame, which may contribute to hyperthyroidism.
- Detoxify mercury and metals, specifically dental mercury.
- Stabilize adrenal function, especially people with allergies and stress
- Use Hormone-Free Meats
- Avoid Iodized salt. Replace it with Celtic salt, Japanese salt, or a good quality sea salt.
- Add seaweeds, chlorella and algaes to your diet.
- Increase your consumption of coconut, whether the nut meat, oil, or milk.
- Eat more fish and flax seeds to increase fatty acids.
- Consider food’s effects on antibody levels, and be very aware of potential food sensitivities that can disrupt the endocrine system.